Here we explain why Sophyto skincare does not contain aesthetic ingredients such as fillers, binders, heavy silicones, artificial colors and perfumes;
When you remove aesthetic ingredients such as fillers, silicones and foaming agents from a product, you will notice a difference in the texture. Ingredients such as silicone emolients in a facial product provide a myriad of sensory benefits from product feel to skin afterfeel. Essentially silicones give more slip and smoothness and are designed to stay on top of the skin and create a barrier your finger tips can feel, making it seem that the texture of your skin feels smoother and softer.
Silicone emollients are occlusive - that is they coat the skin, trapping anything beneath it, and do not allow the skin to breathe (much like plastic wrap would do). Recent studies have indicated that prolonged exposure of the skin to sweat, by occlusion, causes skin irritation. Some synthetic emollients are known tumour promoters and accumulate in the liver and lymph nodes. They are also non-biodegradable, causing negative environmental impact.- Dimethicone - Dimethicone Copolyol - Cyclomethicone. Source: AFH, toxic ingredient list.
Our skin performs 7 important functions;
- ABSORPTION - skin permits substances such as water and oxygen to pass through its tissues
- EXCRETION - removes toxins from the body through perspiration
- HYDRATION - skin contains water to keep itself soft and supple. It secretes sweat and an oily sebaceous fluid that maintains skins natural moisture balance
- PROTECTION - skin shields the body from environmental agressors such as heat, cold and bacteria
- REGULATION - skin helps maintain body temperature
- RESPIRATION - skin takes in oxygen through the pores and releases carbon dioxide
- SENSATION - nerve endings located just under the outer layer of the skin make us aware of cold, heat, pain and pleasure
Dimethicone blocks the skin's ability to perform 4 of these functions; ABSORPTION, EXCRETION, REGULATION AND RESPIRATION
Without the use of fillers, binders and dimethicone, the textures of Sophyto products are therefore able to work with the natural functions of the skin to:
- Cleansers: rinse, or wipe from skin with the greatest of ease; will not leave product residue on surface; leaves skin clean, fresh and able to breathe
- Toners: rebalance pH after the use of water; use in place of cleanser on make up free skin; refreshes without leaving product residue
- Serums: dissipates into skin fast; does not feel tacky, or sticky; does not leave product residue on surface; able to apply make up instantly
- Moisturizers: concentrated without being overly rich, dissipates into skin fast; beneficial for oily skin; acts as primer for instant make up application
- Treatments: no harsh or abbrassive ingredients that can damage skin; works with skin's own pH to naturally exfoliate and brighten; is more progressive approach than aggressive
We purposely do not add artificial colors to our products because they do not serve any skin benefits, plus our standards prohibit masking the formulas natural colors which are derived from the plethora of botanical based ingredients.
Our award winning Anti Aging Antioxidant Serum sports a rich amber color which is derived from very high percentages of polyphenols from green and white tea, apples, red grapes and olive leaf. Dr. Leslie Baumann, world renowned dermatologist and author comments in her New York Times best selling book The Skin Type Solution, chapter 16: Dry, Resistant, Pigmented and Wrinkled, page 393, "Although green tea has been proven beneficial to the skin, many products contain such low amounts that they are near to worthless. Green tea turns brown when used in large amounts; as a result, companies often only put in small quantities of green tea. Don't let the brown color worry you. Think about the benefit to your skin!!"
Don't be afraid of natural colors in products using high percentages of botanicals, they can end up being far more beneficial to your skin than those artifical colors you may be used to.
Most fragrances are chemicals which can be potential allergens for people with sensitive skin. Another reason why we do not include essential oils either as they contain components which can also irritate sensitive skin.
Dr. Mercola, New York Times Best Author and the Worlds #1 Natural Health Website
recommends "looking for products that are fragrance-free. One artificial fragrance can contain hundreds -- even thousands -- of chemicals, and fragrances are a major cause of allergic reactions". Source; Mind Control Through Your Nose, Sept 29, 2007; The Ominous Truth Behind Cosmetic Products, April 14, 2010; New Study Finds Major Toxins in Many Cosmetics, June 4 2011.
When you smell our products, you will only detect faint, plant based extracts and oils and nothing else. One sure way of knowing if a product contains high percentages of vitamins is, it should technically smell similar to the supplements you take each day. Doctors and beauty experts who use Sophyto often comment how our Multivitamin Facial Serum smells faintly like baby vitamins which dissipates upon application and how our Anti Aging Antioxidant Serum smells like fermented tea and apples. All of these natural aromas are a good yard stick to compare the purity and high percentages of all these skin beneficial ingredients in Sophyto skincare products.
Artifical fragrance in face care products have zero skin benefits, if you are someone whose nose is pleased by perfume, why not spray your fave fragrance lightly onto your hair or clothes and that way you keep a potentially sensitizing synthetic off your skin.